In Plain Sight



In Plain Sight
 
by Sr. Melanie

A few years ago, I was walking through the woods surrounding our monastery with a guest who happened to be a naturalist. He was giving me a lesson in identifying overlooked species that work in woodland gardens. One tree that I had never noticed is called Striped Maple or Moosewood.  It is a relatively small tree, but interesting in many respects. Its bark is pale green with yellow stripes. The leaves resemble a duck’s foot, rather than a typical maple leaf, and they turn from lime green to light yellow in the fall. When the leaves emerge in spring, they have a scarlet bud scale that is visible from quite a distance.

After becoming familiar with this tree, I searched the woods for a small one to transplant. Unfortunately, most of the smaller ones had been food for the browsing deer, and I couldn’t find a good specimen to move, and I went on to other pursuits.

The following spring, I was in a lower section of our garden where it was quite wet, when all of a sudden I stepped into a sink hole and immediately was in over my boots and still sinking. I called for help several times, but no one heard me. As I sunk further into the muck, visions of movies I had seen as a kid flashed through my mind – men trapped in quicksand slowly disappearing till they were gone. I thought of someone finally looking for me and finding only my floating hat to mark the spot of my demise.

Well, at about knee high, I stopped sinking and the next thing to do was to try to extricate myself, as the cavalry was clearly not coming to the rescue. As I looked around to figure out the next thing to do, lo and behold to my left was not one, but a whole grove of striped maple! With some effort, I was able to reach some surrounding ground with some brush that was stable and succeeding in pulling myself out of the hole. After more than a few sighs of relief, I explored the maples. As it was spring, they were all decorated with their scarlet bud scales. Then I remembered that I was told that they also thrive in moist ground as well as in the woods.

As I filled the hole with rocks and some gravel, I said a quiet “Thank you” for allowing me to see what was hidden in plain sight, even though it took a mini adventure to come to my senses!

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?