A Very Special Visit

 

 By Ralph Karow

On November 3rd the monks were paid a special visit by Michele and Ora. Michele had asked Ora if there was anything she wanted to do for an adventure. Her choice was to visit New Skete and hopefully meet some of our Shepherds. Br regory usually greets visitors, answers any questions, and shows them around with Quilla in tow. He had a doctor’s appointment that day, though, and asked me if I could fill in. Naturally, I don’t have the depth and breadth of monastic experience that Br Gregory has, nor do I know New Skete’s history as he does, but fortunately their main interest was in meeting our dogs and hearing about them—my one and only strong point.

First, I brought out Quilla, since she’s such a gentle and quiet dog. I knew that would go well, but next I wanted to bring out my dynamic duo, and I was afraid Greta would be her overzealous, jumpy, puppy self, while Habibah would see people she didn’t know, become standoffish, and start barking in protest. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Neither of them made a peep, and they were the most polite and proper young dogs you’d ever want to see. I should have been very proud, except the little voice in my head kept saying “Are you kidding me? Why don’t you two show your real selves and act the way you did last night?” But they were showing their real selves. They were caught up in the love that Ora and Michele radiated, and reciprocating with their own. It was a very beautiful moment on a pristine autumn day. What made it even better was Br Luke walking by, first with his puppy Tori, and then a little later on with Iris and Fuller. I consider myself blessed to have been a part of their visit, and I’d be happy to see them return in the spring—especially if we have a litter or two that are old enough to meet people.

            Later that evening I mentioned their visit to Br Marc, who suggested I write a few words for the newsletter. I contacted Michele to see if she could send some of the pictures she took, and she replied with the following note:

            Ora grew up in the poor side of Greenwich, Connecticut. After graduating in 1946, she wanted to be a veterinarian but could not afford college. She then became a children’s librarian. After marrying her husband, Bob, she worked in advertising. After 42 years Ora and her husband settled in Ballston Spa in 1995. Bob and Ora always wanted to visit New Skete and see the dogs. Unfortunately, they never made the visit. Bob died in 2000, and Ora remained in Ballston Spa. After Bob’s death, Ora and her neighbor across the street “adopted” each other, watching out for each other and becoming not only good friends but family as well. Ora loves animals of all kinds and will stop to visit any animal that crosses her path. Ora thoroughly enjoyed her visit to New Skete, appreciative of [the monks’] kindness and patience with all her questions. She couldn’t decide which dog to take home and didn’t think she could sneak one out. She had eyes on the 3-month old puppy. Ora currently resides in Ballston Spa with her two cats, Milo and Benji.


Ora as a child.


 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?