I Am a Bit Nervous, Ida, But Here Goes Nothing

 

By Kenneth, guest writer

Hi. My name is Kenneth.  I truly appreciate the loving and caring people at the New Skete Monastery.

            I am incarcerated in Columbia Correctional Institution and have been since I was 18 years old.  I was wrongfully convicted of an armed robbery in 2015 for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  In this incident no one was hurt, and I had nothing to do with this [crime], but being from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and not being able to pay a lawyer’s fees to adequately defend myself, I lost my freedom to the prison system.  I was and still am distraught after this incident.

This is my first adult case in my life!  I was so depressed and grief-stricken, to the point where I did not want to live any more, at all.  I tried suicide three times.  I thought it was the end for me...until one day while in segregation, where I was separated from everyone in the world, and having nobody to talk to or anything to do, this nice man next door to me let me borrow and read a newsletter he got. Inside was a story about a New York monastery. The article was about how the sisters had a cheesecake stolen from them, which was unusual with the way they operate in their community.  So, I decided, “Hey, I'd like to write them and send my condolences.”  I read that they had done and still do so much to give back to people with their bakery, dog breeding program, etc.…  So, I used my last stamped envelope and decided I would send my condolences to them. Even if I did not get a response, it didn't matter; I just wanted to do some good in the world.  After I sent the letter, I tried for the third time at suicide, but God told me, in a voice in my head, not to go forward with it, and He told me that a blessing will come my way soon.  Nine days later, I received a letter from Sister Cecelia telling me that Jesus loves me and that He cares about me, and I should write the monastery if I need to. So, I started writing to Sister Cecelia. It’s been four years now, and I am mentally and spiritually at my best today, because of her and the support from New Skete. 


            I am now my best self because of Sister Cecelia’s message.  I am currently completing a college course at Milwaukee Area Technical College for an Associate’s degree in Arts and Literature.  I plan on getting out of prison and becoming a productive part of society, because Sister Cecelia and Ida believed in me when I did not believe in myself. 

I never had a dad or mom growing up, and now I know how it feels for someone to care about you.  I am currently in my plight to appealing this case for my freedom. It’s hard, but I have hope if I can obtain a lawyer.  Other than this, I am focused and determined to not let the justice system’s mistake, in identification, continue to haunt me for the rest of my bright life—the life I have ahead.  I want to work. I want to have a family with kids and grandkids one day, like a normal human being.  I've found my voice, thanks to Sister Cecelia and Ida. They were there when I had nobody, no family would listen, and I had no voice.  So, I just want to say to New Skete Monastery, the monks, the sisters, the workers, and everyone else: you guys really have touched people’s lives and will continue to do so.

Thank you for helping me find my voice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?