The Faces of Dog Training at New Skete

 By Ida Williams



 Shortly after my first year of employment, I was tasked with handling dog training client communications and scheduling.  I have to admit that it is one of my favorite aspects of my job.  I feel that I am instrumental in making a difference in the lives of dogs and their owners, not to the extent the brothers and the trainers do, but I like to think that I play a small role in helping save dogs from being surrendered to shelters.
          Over the years, hundreds of dogs have been enrolled in the monastery’s training program: Dachshunds to Great Danes. Seven months old to seven years old.  Goofy to scary.  Each dog is loved immeasurably by the owners.  The owners’ goals are always the same: to include the dog more fully in their lives.    

          After a dog graduates from the program and the owner continues to support the training at home, we seldom hear from them again.  I am of the mindset that no news is good news, and if a client has a question, they will contact us. They do, and I always use this opportunity to ask how the pup is doing.

          There is not a dog I do not like, and I have fallen in love with all of the dogs that have come here for training.  Some have stories that stand out a little more than the others, mostly because they were the toughest cases.

          Dixie Queen, aka Queenie, a German Shepherd Dog, came to New Skete for training in the winter of 2013.  Queenie’s owner had described her as “Snarly!”  There was more to that description, but “Snarly” seemed to sum her up.  In an email after Queenie completed her training, the owner wrote, I had the Queen with me at the post office the other day, and the same vet tech came in from my nightmare vet visit #10 (the euthanasia that didn't happen). I'm sure they will not soon forget how frazzled I was that day and how crazy my dog was. "Oh-mi-gosh! I'm sooo happy to see you got another dog," the vet tech crooned.  "This is THE SAME dog," I said, all puffed up with pride as if The Queen had just graduated summa cum laude from Harvard! 

Clancy, a rescued American Staffordshire Terrier, came to New Skete in the fall of 2015.  Since he was a shelter rescue, the owners had very little details of Clancy’s life before adopting him.  “Fancy, Schmancy, Clancy” (I make up nicknames or songs about all the dogs) was a mellow guy with no self-confidence.   It took weeks to build up his trust, and his stay was extended.  With patience and persistence, the brothers were able to help Clancy achieve his owners’ goals.  His recall is very good—he walks very politely on leash, sits well, will go to place and stay there, and is pretty good with a down, tho' again his tendency is to want to be close to you. He is an interesting dog, but definitely a keeper ;-)” (Brother Christopher).   Just this past year I got a phone call from Clancy’s owners, with a question about the training collar.  I cannot express how happy I was to hear that their Clancy was still doing great.  (And I am proud to say that the jade plants they gave me are still alive.)

This summer was the summer of Misty.  After putting the notes from the client’s pre-arrival interview into Misty’s profile, I asked Brother Christopher, “Are you sure about this dog?”  He said that even though Misty had tough behaviors he felt that the program would help her.  I received a letter from Misty’s owner and opened the envelope with trepidation. By the time I finished reading the letter I was crying.  On the day the owner wrote the letter, Misty had gone to a home improvement store without lunging and growling at the people there. They decided that since she had done so well, they would take her to an outdoor café.  Misty lay under the table as they ate lunch, people and other dogs walked by, and no reaction.  Misty had gained the confidence that she needed to be fully integrated in her owners’ lives.
          Dogs like Tom Ford (coolest name); Finn, who relocated to England; the triplets, Knox, Nash, and Romi; Chelios the Weimaraner; Scout and her big brother, Sampson; Fizzgig and Hofbräu, the Dachshund/Chihuahua sisters; Stella Blue aka Stella Poo… so many dogs, so many dog stories.  And when it is a New Skete German Shepherd puppy, I always look for similarities with the puppy’s parents.

In the spring we expanded the training staff.  In June, Sarah joined the training team of Brother Christopher, David, Tom, and Heather.  Each trainer brings something extra to the New Skete training methods.  Brother Christopher, as director of training and primary author of the monks’ books, is the repository of expertise and experience, David adds a methodical aspect (well thought out and planned), Tom brings patience and a natural ability, and Heather brought her knowledge and education in dog training and dog health care.  Sarah completed the training team and brought her own unique love of dogs.  Her enthusiasm brings excitement to our team meetings.  We laugh each time she says, “Aww, he/she is the sweetest dog ever.”  We even joke that we are going to get a jar and she has to put in a dollar every time she says that.  The other thing Sarah brought to the team is her talent for pet photography.  Her pictures capture the joy we see as the dogs learn their lessons.  We are excited to share the Faces of Dog Training at New Skete with you. 

Click here to view happy dogs learning:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=NewSketeSpirituality&set=a.3078849428878673






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?