Resident Experience Program


By David Bushhouse

I spent this summer (Pentecost—Transfiguration) volunteering at New Skete as part of the Resident Experience Program. I lived at the monastery in one of the guest rooms, eating, praying, and working with the monks. The past couple of months have given me the opportunity to reflect on the experience, and I can report that my time at New Skete was truly transformative. I would do it all over again if I had the chance.       

            I graduated from college in May of this year with a bachelor’s degree in Biology, and I am currently beginning doctoral studies in Molecular Biosciences at Northwestern University. This summer presented a unique opportunity to take some time away from school and the lab and dedicate myself to rest, silence, and prayer. Also, I wanted the chance to work with my hands and learn humility while taking a break from the intellectually demanding work I normally do. In both of those areas my summer was more rewarding than I anticipated.

            With regard to spiritual development, I think I benefited most from deeply engaging with the daily offices. Early on during my time at the monastery, Br. Stavros got me started helping out with the services by lighting lamps, moving candles around, and preparing incense. These minor responsibilities forced me to learn the ins and outs of all the offices. By participating in Matins every morning and Vespers every evening, I came to fully appreciate the truth of lex orandi, lex credendi in reference to the organization and essence of both offices. That was a formative experience, which day by day changed the way I think about how and why we pray. This growth has had lasting positive effects on my prayer life.

            My daily work mostly included various landscaping tasks, cleaning, and helping Br. Luke in the breeding kennel. I really enjoyed the work and found in my chores another source of growth as I tried my best to work “as unto the Lord.” Indeed, in my short time at New Skete I acquired a new appreciation for work—pulling weeds and picking up puppy poop—as a spiritual endeavor, at least as valuable as prayer for interior growth. 

            My most fond memories, though, are of all the friends I made over the summer. I had a wonderful time getting to know all of the monks, learn their quirks, and hear their stories. I think often of the Monday hikes with Br. Stavros, being teased relentlessly by Br. Gregory, shuffling over to the kennels early in the morning with Br. Luke, and chatting deep into the night with Br. Ambrose and Fr. Ramon. Being a long-term guest also put me in the interesting position of meeting all the visitors who would cycle through every few days, bringing their distinct personalities and stories. This experience helped me practice the humble attitude of “what can I learn from this person?”

            All in all, I had a fantastic summer. I learned many valuable lessons, and I would encourage anyone who has the time and opportunity to think seriously about participating in the Resident Experience Program.


More information on the Resident Experience Program can be found at
https://newskete.org/resident-experience

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?