A New Addition




By Sister Cecelia


The monastic winter retreat started on January 27th. Ever since my German Shepherd Jaci left in November to make another family happy, I have contemplated how to spend my extra time with no dog to care for. I could use the basement exercise room rather than venture out into the cold, cold weather being predicted. I really appreciate retreat times, as there are so few scheduled events or time limits for any work responsibilities, so reading, thinking, meditating would not have to stop when the timer went off. No timer even needed to be set.


One small book I gave particular attention to, A Theological Journey, by a Benedictine theologian, Ghislain Lafont, describes the efforts made to understand the Christian search for salvation, which the author defines as happiness. I compare it to a “reader’s digest” of theologies and philosophies through the ages. Considering the condition the world is in today, I find it most interesting to see the efforts humankind has made before. Where will our journey take us, with so many theologies and philosophies leading us in divergent directions?


Throughout the year I make lists of special projects for the retreat. One project this year was to go through the stacks in my room, sort, and clear out. Happily, I was able to fill two waste baskets with paper to go to recycling during the first three days. I have a habit of printing online articles if they are longer than half a page, rather than reading them on the computer. Later, I think. Then they end up on stacks to be read later before going to be recycled. Some of the articles were printed in 2008–so, time for them to to go!!


One set of printouts, however, was a series of 14 retreat talks given to a group of monastic women. They turned out to be excellent material for much thoughtful reflection. One was to consider how much my own attitudes have changed through the years, especially regarding how much my own cultural conditioning is challenged by studying other cultures and peoples. Another consideration was the notion of ora and labora–pray and work–and how many assume that Mary’s way is better than Martha’s way. Listening for God and to God is never a mistake. Finding God in all things and everywhere IS THE GOAL for all of us, no matter what choices we make for our particular journey through life.


On the first Sunday of the retreat, while helping Brother Luke groom and weigh his 15 4-week-old puppies, I saw an older pup on the adult side of the kennel. The 4-month-old pup was so cute, so friendly, and waiting for a new home. Soon afterward, I was asked whether I would like to take her, as she will be kept to see if she “passes” all the qualifications for the breeding program. She has passed the first criterion: her ancestry qualifies her. Only time will tell for the other three qualifications.


Not having raised a puppy for over 12 years, I needed to make my bedroom more puppy friendly. Sorting and clearing out went on the fast lane. Thank goodness I had made some good inroads on the stacks in my room.


On Friday of the first week of the retreat, Kula came to her new home. She is in the chewing stage–new teeth are coming in–so she needs watching. Fortunately, she needs to rest between activities, so I can still get other projects done, though not nearly as much as I had hoped. Jessie is delighted to have another dog companion for our three walks a day, even when it is so cold. Jessie is grandma to the pup and sometimes tires of her attentions to play constantly indoors and out.


On our immediate journey, Jessie, I, and the other nuns will learn to cope as we include Kula, our new addition.

Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?