Iris and Fuller Go Shopping for a Christmas Tree



By Brother Luke

            Getting our Christmas tree this year presented a few new problems. In the past we always had a pick-up truck, and I could use that to get the tree. Sometimes we were allowed to drive into the field behind a neighbor’s house and cut down a tree from there, but that no longer is an option. As with most people, there are years when we have to get a pre-cut tree; they unfortunately do not always last all that long. Our tree is sometimes up well into January, sometimes even all the way to February 2 and the Feast of the Encounter. So, for us the fresher the better. But we also have several Christmas Tree farms in our area, and when possible we go there to cut a tree just when we need it. Still, a truck is useful and we no longer have one.
            Last year I learned that we could put a down payment on a tree and leave it untouched until the time arrived to cut it and bring it into the monastery. I learned that too late last year to take advantage of it then, but this year I got my chance to try a new way. So, right after Thanksgiving I went to Bailey’s Christmas Tree Farm, taking Kahn along. I arrived just at dusk, and true to form for me, they had just closed. But when I told them I was only planning to tag a tree for later purchase, they let me put a down payment on a tree, and gave me a numbered tag and colored streamers. Off I went into their Christmas tree grove, searching for the right tree. It was very cold, so I left Kahn in the car. I searched all over one half of their property and finally found one I thought would be good for us, and I put a tag on it. You also have to tie colorful streamers around the tree to alert others that the tree is already spoken for! If not, you might discover when you return to cut your tree that someone else got there first and your tree is gone!
            Kahn and I went home, our scouting task over. Fast forward a few weeks, and the time had arrived to get our tree. I was pondering which of our cars to use, and I got lucky. I discovered that our cook/maintenance man, Joshua, had decided to drive his truck to work that day, so I asked if I could borrow it that afternoon to get the tree. He said sure, and thinking that I might want to take Kahn along with me, he said it would be OK to take the dog in the truck. Now, this truck is very familiar to us; it used to be our truck! The cab is old-fashioned, only a front seat, no rear riding area. I still planned to take my dogs, but not Kahn, who was upstairs in one of our employee’s office making a nuisance of himself. That left Fuller and Iris. I looked at the truck cab again, and though wary, I decided we three could all fit. So, I got my leash and a two-dog clasp for my two dogs. I opened the passenger-side door and Iris leaped right in, but Fuller was not so sure. I tried to coax him in, but no good. He would get his front two paws in but not the back paws. With all this fooling around, Iris got tired of waiting and leaped out! Then Fuller decided he could leap in after all, and in he went. Now Iris wasn’t so sure there was enough room for both of them, and she hesitated. Fuller was getting ready to leap out when Iris leaped in, and I quickly shut the door! 
            Then I had to get in with Fuller standing up in the driver’s seat. I nudged him over and slid in, just barely squeezing in. Door shut, we were ready to go. We had a dusting of snow the night before, and I thought as I started down our dirt road that I probably should shift into 4-wheel drive. I used to drive this truck all the time, but this time I couldn’t budge the lever. So, slowly, slowly we went down the road in 2-wheel drive. No problem, thank goodness. However, Iris had lain down on the bench seat, but Fuller decided he wanted to stay standing up! The good news was that it was easier for me to use the floor stick shift. The bad news was if I had to make a quick stop, he would go flying through the window! On the other hand, the brakes were a bit soft—so how fast would we stop anyway?
            The drive over to Center Cambridge was uneventful. I pulled into the parking area thinking I may have made another mistake, since no one else was there! But I was OK.  They were open. I opened the door to get out, but before I could get out, both dogs were out on the ground. Now I was frantic because I know they usually have a dog at the shop and I didn’t want any trouble. So, as I was scrambling to corral my two 18-month-old bundles of energy (otherwise known as puppies), out came the merchant, and I alerted him (to the obvious) that my dogs were out and I was trying to get them under control. He said not to worry; his dog was not there. I asked if it was OK for them to come with me, and he said yes, although he said he wouldn’t just let them run free. I had no intention of letting them run free!  I originally had no intention of them getting out of the truck, but they took matters into their own paws!
            Finally I got them hooked on the leash and took the saw in my free hand, and off we went to cut our tree. The fellow who was there said he would come by in their vehicle and pick up the tree and bring it back to the parking area, where they wrap the tree in a net for easier transport.
            Up the hill we went, with the two dogs pulling me forward a bit faster than I had intended. I found our tree, after a few mis-identifications, and I put the dogs on a down-stay while I prepared to cut the tree, which was going to require both of my hands.  Well, while I was down on my hands and knees I heard the vehicle coming. Of course, down-stay for my two pups means poke around sniffing, so the motor cart was getting closer and the pups were free-roaming around and I was on my knees sawing away as I heard the cart go right on by us! How could he miss us? I had told him where the tree was, and we were the only ones there! Oh well. Now I was not sure if that cart was out for some other purpose, so I figured I was supposed to go back to the shop and tell them I had cut the tree and it was ready to be picked up. However, as I was heading back I heard the cart coming back our way, so I turned around to wait for him by our tree. But he was about to go right past us again, so I ran out onto the dirt track and shouted at him, and he finally noticed us. All worked out fine in the end, even though there were moments when I wasn’t so sure it would.
            Back at the parking area, the two men who were working that day wrapped up our tree and very kindly carried it over to the truck and rolled it into the back of the truck.  I took my two charges with me into the shop to pay for the tree. They were their too-cute selves, and both men thought they were very good-looking dogs. Back at the truck, I had the same problem of getting the doggies into the cab. This time Fuller managed to get in first, and Iris decided she wanted to play some more outside, but she finally got in. I closed the door and got in on the driver’s side, shut the door, and headed home.
            When we got back to the monastery, Joshua was still there. How was he going to go home, since I had his vehicle? He took the tree out of the truck and got it into the recreation room, where it will live for the next few weeks. He managed to attach the old metal tree stand to the tree, and we got it up. First step after that was putting on the lights, which true to form I put on backwards and had to take them all off and start over, so that I could plug them into the outlet. But all was well. The pups were back in the house ready for their evening meal. Adventure complete.







Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?