Many Symbols, Many Meanings


By Sister Cecelia

During our regular retreat times, some of the common works are put aside so that we have a bit more time for reading, reflecting, and meditating.  This morning as I was reflecting on the pictures and wall hangings here, I realized they each have a special significance to me. The different images symbolize something to me that would not mean the same to anyone else. Others would not see what I see in them.

One is a handmade paper, slightly raised in various areas, that is in different shades of blue with little green and gold flecks. I doubt the artist intended what I see, which is a rowboat or canoe in the Everglades, or some area like the Everglades. I see an overhanging tree at an angle toward the boat, with accompanying overgrowth. The scene is symbolic to me of God looking over my journey into the unknown of everyday life. It isn’t clear where I am going, but God is near and with me. While life can be frightening at times, this depiction is peaceful and serene.

 Another painting was done by my father. When it hung in his home with about twenty others of his paintings, it showed a windblown river descending in a terrific storm during the night, with possible lightning in the distance. After my father died and the painting was given to me and hung up with another painting of his, I was amazed to find that the river was going upstream, not down! From the darkened bottom the windblown river was going toward the light, not lightning.  How symbolic it seems of life. No matter how difficult the storms of life, the river of our journey will take us toward the light if we let it—or even in spite of our efforts to the contrary.



The other painting by my father is of the same Maumee River, which is wide enough in places to appear as small lakes. This one does, but it still flows upstream around similar bends of land. After the storm of the first painting, this one is calm and serene.


My musings have made me wonder what symbolism others see in places or activities, or rituals that mean something only to them. In studying icons, we see so many symbolic colors, stances, and styles whose meanings have for the most part remained the same. Many symbols were originally understood without any need for explanations, but now they are not so obvious. A little knowledge of scripture is a big help in understanding some of the symbolism of icons.






Popular posts from this blog

Liberty and Belonging

A Strong Ministry Continues

What Is New This Fall?